Visit our volunteer zone to apply to be a volunteer and book onto events.
Location: Across the UK
Time commitment: Between once a week and once a month, depending on your availability
Responsible to: Young Leaders Programme Manager
Background to Whizz-Kidz:
In the UK today, too many disabled children lack the equipment and opportunities they need to live life to the full and reach their true potential. Whizz-Kidz sets them free by providing the right mobility equipment and skills to build their self-esteem, confidence and aspiration. By joining in and volunteering, you can help transform children’s lives.
Young Leader Programme Volunteers support young wheelchair users through the Young Leader programme, which promotes and tracks all kinds of personal development.
You will lead or co-lead activities to encourage young people to challenge themselves in a positive way, develop their independence, and reach their true potential. Services include Ambassador Clubs, Camp Whizz-Kidz, Wheelchair Skills Training and Work Skills Days as well as possible 1:1 mentoring sessions
Young Leader Programme Volunteers will:
- Support and encourage young people to engage with the Young Leader Programme and show young people how to complete modules
- Support young people on a 1:1 level or in a small group.
- Act as a scribe to enable young people to write-up their Young Leader modules
- Interview and film young people as a way of completing modules
- Plan and deliver fun and empowering sessions to help young people decide what they want to do to complete a module.
What’s in it for me?
- Help to transform the lives of young disabled people
- Learn new transferable skills & improve your CV
- Contribute to the development of young disabled people
- Hone your mentoring and leadership skills
- Enthusiastic and confident
- Supportive, friendly and sensitive to others
- Ability to communicate with young people of all ages
- Positive attitude towards disability
- Flexible and creative
- Experience of working with young people is an advantage but not essential
Training and support:
- Volunteer induction and training
- Initial training and ongoing support from Young Leaders Programme Manager
- Access to our online training platform, Learn Upon.
An enhanced DBS check will be processed for all volunteers.
Whizz-Kidz are able to reimburse a maximum of £30 per event for reasonable travel and subsistence costs.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.