Keeping Safe Whilst Fundraising

Everything you need to know for safe, legal and successful fundraising with Whizz Kidz

We want to make fundraising for Whizz Kidz as easy, fun and impactful as possible. We also want you to be safe, so below are some tips and advice.

If you have any questions or need further support with your fundraising, get in touch with us – email or call 0207 233 9696

Do I need a license to hold a collection?

  • If you’re holding a street collection, you must get a license from your local authority.
  • If you’re holding a collection on private property, like a shopping centre or rail station, you must get written permission from the landowner or manager.
  • We can provide buckets and tins with sealed stickers and chains to make them more secure in shops and public places – just get in touch.

How do I handle cash donations safely?

Please keep any cash donations you receive safe and secure, and if you are carrying money, then it is advised to have someone with you. You must always count money with a witness, and please pay this back into your bank account as soon as possible.

There are also lots of different ways you can pay in your donations, including BACS transfer and online, and you can find out more here – How To Pay In Money | Whizz Kidz

Raffle and lotteries - do I need a license?

Lotteries (school fairs or fun days) and private lotteries (office sweepstakes) are exempt from license requirements. If tickets are sold in advance (i.e., charity speed dating or comedy nights) and advertised to the public, they require a license.

If you need help with this, please give us a call. When getting the license, remember you need to show your ‘permission to fundraise’ letter. If you don’t have this, please get in touch with us.

What are the rules for putting on an auction?

Unlike raffles and lotteries, auctions do not fall under gambling law. You still need to be aware of and comply with relevant consumer legislation, so you need to make sure that you value items accurately. There cannot be cash prizes, and the sale of tickets and the announcement of the results must take place during the event. You can also organise an online auction through corporations like eBay or BiddingForGood, which are great inclusive ways to raise funds.

What information do I need to include in fundraising materials?

Your fundraising materials should state your event is “in aid of Whizz Kidz” and have our charity number (Registered charity No. 802872), registered name (Whizz Kidz) and our address (Whizz Kidz, 2nd Floor, 30 Park Street, London SE1 9EQ). If you need our logo, please get in touch with us.

How old do I need to be to get involved in fundraising?

We welcome everyone and anyone to support Whizz Kidz! If you are under 18, we will need consent from your parent or guardian.


We recommend hosting your event at a venue that is wheelchair accessible, particularly if it’s open to the public. You can find these details on their website, and you might also what to find out if the venue has wheelchair-accessible toilets, parking and public transport connections. If your event is invite-only, consider asking guests in advance if they have any access requirements.

Consent from parents

If you will be taking photos and have young people attending your event, you’ll need to get consent from their parents or guardians to share these images. We suggest creating a consent form to get written permission for images to be shared online. We would also make it clear that photos will be taken throughout your event.

Food Hygiene

Food safety laws apply when food is available, whether it is for sale or not. Food hygiene regulations can be found on the Food Standards Agency's website or by contacting your local authority regarding their specific food hygiene regulations.

Risk Assessments

A simple risk assessment to identify any hazards or potential risks relevant to your activity is important for a small event. For larger or public events, you may need to complete a risk assessment and ask your venue to provide a template, or you can request one from Whizz Kidz. Ensure you have adequate first aid cover if hosting a public event, and you can check with your local council if you’re unsure.


Please remember that you are responsible for your activity, and Whizz Kidz cannot accept liability for any fundraising activity or event you undertake. If you are planning an activity that involves the general public, you’ll need to budget for public liability insurance, which can be obtained from any insurer. If you are holding the event in a venue with liability insurance (such as a village hall or pub), check that they have the appropriate insurance and that it covers your activity.

Sponsored Events

View more

Setting up a Fundraising Page

Find out more

Get fundraising ideas

Read more